Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Being in an unknown land

Risks are a part of life. Weather it's awaited, seen or not. It's what we live in everyday.

Traveling in a lot of ways is a huge risks.

Raining... Another flight delay.

Missing your flight is a risk,
an unapproved entrace to another country is a risk,
a volcano eruption is a risk,
a bomb explotion is a risk (and Thank God bombs did not explode in Taksim Square or Athens while I was loitering around or in the German Chancellors office while I was happy leaping taking a jumping photo)
being kidnapp and sold is a risk (freaked me out after I watched Taken)
having your Bank Card barred and you have no cash is definately a risk (yeap Athens again)
what more is there to say when your passport and wallet is gone after the subway ride in Barcelona?
or get desprately lost and you don't speak the local language?

making lost look sweet and pretty. haha..

It take a lot of courage to go wondering around in another persons land. Everything is unknown and most people do not speak English (some thinks all Europeans speak fluent English).

It made me smile when I was sitting next to an elderly couple in the Ataturk Airport in Istanbul. The man and his wife were looking at us creating this masterpiece and were wondering where we were from. They do not speak english. Amazingly communication is better through gestures. When he saw my name written on the package, he was like ''Ouhh.. Ruth. Latin. Good good.'' *thumbs up* I just smiled. Maybe he spoke Latin. I'm no where near to speaking latin unless it's Ora et Labora and Amere et Servire.

Maybe another story on how to be a cheapskate traveller.

In another scenario, I was gladly leaping and taking pictures in Paris Disneyland. And most of the kids that I took pictures of, their parents do not speak English. Maybe French, Italian, Spanish, Catalan, Portugese usw. That's how you know how big the world is. And I just take pretty pictures of their princesses.

Her face painting was so pretty. 
I think her mum spoke Catalan or Portugese (cos it doesn't sound Spanish).

It takes even more guts to run around in an airport a milisecond before your departure and the announcement is only in the local language or the language of your destination. While waiting for my flight to France, the announcement was in German and French. Not really a good example because I speak German. hahaa.. ok another example : On my flight to Athens, the announcement was in Turkish and Greek. =P

The world is a lot different on the otherside. And I thank God I have the chance to explore it. I get to meet people, experience different cultures and just get lost poking my head into every single thing I can  take chance in. 

One thing for sure is that I know I've changed my mindset  in quite a lot of ways. I hope that made me better.

Risks are sometimes unbearable, scary but why stop there? Life is a risk itself. 

I know for sure I'm not going to stop going places.

note : Now is study time, not run around travel time. If you're waiting for travel posts, wait for next month =D

5 comments:

Globalized Dayung said...

Europe, a nice place to visit. But I have something else to do in the States(make friend with books & papers & exam...I'm dying to finish everything as soon as possible). Hoping one day, I can go to Europe via USA. The tickets are cheaper than from Malaysia to Europe...

Frisco said...

Wow, you are half way round the world. I wonder what are you up to with all those travelings.

JustinBibir said...

u shud 'ave known the price of evil
and it hurts to know that u belong here, yeah
No one to call, everybody to fear
ur tragic fate is looking so clear, yeah~~
Ooooo its your fuckin nightmare
ha ha ha ha!!

thepinaysolobackpacker said...

haha I rmmbr when I was left by my flight and i have no more money and I was in a foreign land. really depressing! But when I look back at everything now, I just alugh about it coz I know there's something I;ve learned out of it.
Traveling is liberating. I wish i can travel as much as you do.
Keep exploring girl! :)

reeyau said...

Dayung : Yeap its really a nice place to go around. And definately cheaper from the US. =) I wish I can go over to the US but I think it's kinda hard for Malaysians to go through the Visa process.

Frisco : I not trying to take over the world =P

SoloBackpacker : There's always something to learn out of every experience right? I hope you don't stop travelling too..