Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Istanbul : The.Spice.Market

As I entered this Market, the first thing in mind was I'm very sure this was how Malacca looked like during it's glory days.



Spices of every possible existence, teas, delights, dried fruits, you name it.



I walked around almost going blind.
You get to taste, smell and recognize spices and they are soo willing to hand you some. Even if you're not going to purchase any. They'll even offer you delights of every kind.

What I got myself from here was rose oil, which smells magical. Just pure extracted rose oil which can swoon people around you. How would I know? The guy was putting too much rose oil on me that when I went into another tea shop behind the bazaar, the old man looked so happy and talking in Turkish and bringing a whole bag of rose tea. bukan mok bagi free pun.
The smell is just enchanting. Remind me of perfume, the story of a murderer.


The second time I came back, I bought spices for kebab and barbecue, and also tea. Stress tea and rose tea.
owhh kantoi stress tea. Please help my pressured life.

What I love the most about the Spice Bazaar is what is behind it. Streets are filled with supplier shops selling party items from wedding to baby showers, disco balls, bakery needs, beads, jades, pearls, jewelery etc. owhh my, it got me even crazy. I went in and out of almost every shop.

For those of the creative minds, it's your pick and choose. My sister would have a heart attack here.

 Fasteners for bracelets, necklaces, wires for earrings, you name it.

 Have your pick of pendants and stones of every kind.

Beads are sold in meters and are just horrible to people like me.
Prices starts from 5TL which is like RM10 for half a meter of beads.
I'm going crazy. I feel like leaving engineering and engineer accessories for the rest of my life now.

 Shops for weddings and hantarans. 
Nikah is stated in the front.

Scarfs, shawls you name it. 
The silvers are anklets. I cheated on my Bidayuh costume and got myself a Turkish coin anklet.

As crazy as I got, I went into the baking needs shop and bought 1000 praline cups (those tiny cups they put almond Londons in). They sell them dead expensive here ok. like 2€ for 20 or something like that. 

In my head I was about to grab a cupcake stand, food coloring, ready made fondants in every color possible, baking trays of all kinds, tarts trays, pie trays. 

Lord have mercy. I forced myself to leave =(

And that's why every person with creativity and a business centered mind should indulge themselves here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if i go there.. i must make sure i have lots of money... i might buy everything... hahahaha....

eh... not cheating le if u use Turkish angklet on ur bidayuh costume... our girunong is chinese u know that.. my seset is coin ntah dari negara apa....

Changi n Ayung will go there and not come back i think... look at all those beads...