Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Istanbul : History.through.Architecture : Hagia Sophia

Across the garden from the Blue Mosque is another iconic structure. The Hagia Sophia also known as Aya Sofya.


This building dates back to 360 (as stated in Wikipedia). Yes it's only three digits. Once built under the rule of Constantine the Great.
4 of the 12 lambs of God also known as the 12 Apostles

Once a church, burned down and rebuilt a few times, turned into a mosque and presently a museum which you will need to pay 20 TL to enter.


With much past the place had, we can clearly see the traces of both of Muslim and Christianity in it.

I'm not a historian so I won't talk much on its exact history. I know that there's Ottoman and Byzantine in most of it's past.



There's suppose to be Mosaic art here back from long time ago but I think they were taken down. They only showed photos of it. (which I didn't take any photos of ) but here's a link of what it is.

No comments: