Pages

Friday, July 23, 2010

Are.You? Travelling.Paris

This has been in my draft since my visit to Paris. So now I'm sharing this backdated post.

A few tips I've gained while traveling in Paris.

I'm here to share it with you.

I came by flight and arrived at the Charles de Gaulle airport. I had most of my plan out right. The airport is quite big so it depeds on which terminal you arrive at. If you are taking the train to Paris central, the stations are at terminal 2E/F. I read this before my arrival at CDG Airport.

Train tickets to Paris Central can be bought at machines or at the counter. Most of the machines only take coins or credit cards. All the best waiting in line at the counters. Tickets are around 8€.

Getting lost at Paris Central : Gare du Nord station.
Somewhat like KL Sentral, Gare du Nord is a very big place catering to almost every train service in France itself and Europe. I arrived at the Gare du Nord station taking the wrong exit, thus walking to another station which is La Chapelle. One side exits at Gare du Nord and the other side exits at La Cahpelle (Metro Line 2).

Day pass : Immobiles
Most of the ticket counter workers do not speak English except for the one at Gare du Nord. Day pass are according to zones and prices are different.

Block Ticket : 10 one way tickets.
If i'm not mistaken, it's about 11€ per block. Block tickets are generally 10 one way tickets. It's cheaper to use because you rarely go on trains rides since everything is mostly  a stone throw away.

Going to Disneyland : 5 Zone Immobiles
Cheap if you're planning on a day trip. How ever a one way ticket is also available.

Problems with Train tickets : getting stuck at barriers
I don't know what magnetic strips have got to do with my body but it seems like all the tickets I use don't get pass the barriers. I've seen other with the same problem. They'll be a few Parisians who will help you through this. By allowing you to use their train pass or by jamming the door for you. Bless the soul who helped me through at the airport before I missed my flight.

Going Around Paris : Famous places
Free Tour. There is a free tour which meet in front of St. Michel. Their brochures are almost everywhere.
On your own. Take a long walk by the Seine River and you'll be able to experience Paris. Most of its famous sights are not far away from the river or by the river.

For Safety :
I've heard so many cases of pick pockets in Paris. Even people who confront you to have a chat and pukau you to get to your wallet. Avoid carrying around handbags that stand out saying Hey I've got money and keep your belongings safe with you.

Hope this helps people who are traveling to Paris soon. Enjoy.

No comments: