Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Manukan Island : Snorkeling

It won't be called an island if it does not involve snorkeling. In my point of view. The whole idea of an island is with fishes, clear waters and white sands.

Renting snorkeling gears from the Jesselton Point will cost roughly around rm20 for the whole set. Rm10 for life jackets and another Rm10 for the snorkeling gears.


Snorkeling bounderies are marked with ropes attached to bouys. I don't think there's a chance of survival for me if i go further than that. It's actually very deep, and I'm no profi swimmer. However I do know how to paddle and float like a little paddling boat.


Those green clear waters are still sea water. A note to not jump in excitedly expecting it to be like swimming pool water. Something I have experienced myself. Gosh, was it salty.

Even kids come by in their cute Winnie the Pooh swimming floats. I used to have it once, a green bird with a "3D" head and a beak and wings. I remember I got it from my neighbour for my birthday present if I'm not mistaken.


Some parts had many fishes and some part did'nt. Maybe the crowd of humans scared them away. I had to go almost all out to see a lot of schools. There were quite a few species. Ones that looked like ikan bawal, then they were long ones that looked like swoard fish cum eel and most of all, those cute zebra fishes.

This is a girl who said she won't go in the water. The one taking the photograph is the girl who thought us how to snorkel. It was my first time.


For first timers : don't panic when you start swollowing salt water. I think that way you'll end up drowning. Instead, float your body face up and arrange your kit.

Make sure it's not jelly fish season. I think I got stunk by baby jellyfishes.

No comments: