Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Kota Kinabalu : Tanjung Aru Sunset

I really really want to finish up all my posts on Kota Kinabalu so I can proceed doing my posts on Bali. Now I can see why my best friend is always stressed out on writing work. It does not come easily. It's not every moment that you would want to write something good.

The reason I blog is to jot down every memory I have especially during my time away from home. One day, I'll read it all and go "owh, good that I wrote that. I did'nt even remember"And to do it FAST so I won't forget little details! So hopefully I'll cover my KK trip today. AFter the sunset, theres the market post. I LOVE MARKETS.

So after the island trip, we gotback to the hotel to shower and rest. It was still very early because the last boat from the island is at 3pm. We reached the hotel at about 4pm and it was still quite bright.

my lovely shades of ultimate redness.

We planned to take a bus to Tanjung Aru to see the sunset. It's one magnificent sunset not to be missed by anyone who steps in KK. Yeah, I've said it so many times that KK has so much things to see.

Generally to go to Tanjung Aru, you have to go to the main bus termainal opposite Wawasan Plaza. Which looks like this.


It's so sad that in East Malaysia, we still use this kind of busses while in the west, their busses are far better. The condition of the place makes me imagine like I'm back in the 80's or earlier. As a country, it's really not fair that only some parts gets all the good stuff and others are left in the past.

The bus going to Tanjung Aru is also the same bus that goes to the Air Asia Airport. Purple bus number 16. But it's still better to just ask the driver or the conductor if the bus is going to the beach. There's no bus timetable around of bus routes for that matter. However, there are locals who would help.

Right before sunset, the roads are usually jammed because it's after office hours. You'll arrive on-time to watch the sky change color.



Even seeing these pictures amazes me.


The beaches are packed with families, children and tourists. Along the beach are restaurants and stally where you can have drink, light snacks or dinner. There's a big seafood restaurant with a stage where people perform cultural dances too. If you don't intend to have an expensive seafood meal, you can just stand and watch the performance.


I did'nt have seafood in Sabah becuase my friends said that it's a lot more costly compared to Sarawak.One thing I realise is that the seafood restaurants here are huge with lots of fish tanks all around. I even saw one that had 4 levels of tanks and was even structured like a waterfall. We don't have that back home. Or maybe I just don't know the place.

We went to have dinner in a food court further down the beach. Malaysian style food courts are rows and rows of stalls selling hawker food, desserts, grilled delicacies, pickles and drinks. Fanny introduced us to a stall which she often comes to visit. She even knows the aunty. The drinks she makes are just super delicious I wish I can have them anytime. Fresh ice blended fruit juices. Have you ever tried Ice Blended Avocado? It might sound funky, but it tastes soo good.

Lot no 7

from left : ice blended custard apple SOURSOP (durian belanda), ice blended Avocado, (I forgot Vals drink :s ) and bbq honey chicken wings and my favourite chicken butt.

Talking about chicken butt. Sarawakians call them burit ayam, Sabahans call then tongkeng ayam. Kedahans call them pungkok. Generally it's punggung. So my West Malaysian readers, when I say burit ayam, it's not burit as in what you translate them to be =D

Fanny friend came to join us for dinner and brought me for a driven tour that night. We went to the newly opened Perdana Park that was officiated by the Prime Minister himself. At certain hours after dark, they'll have a musical fountain (fountain that dances to the music).


Because of this park, it caused a long traffic jam from Tanjung Aru back to KK itself. I was holding my blader the whole time in the car. Then, they brought me to see the UMS campus which is build on the slopes of the mountain. Honestly I can't imagine myself studying here. You have to climb hills and hills of slopes (??) and at night, the place is all dark! the distance to the next lamp post is approx 200 meters and did i mention its dark and its a forest? My respects to all students here and condolences to those who are involved in rape cases that are quite frequent. Please keep yourself save at all times.

Another place we went was the Obeservatory Tower. from this point, you can almost see the whole of Kota Kinabalu city. It's high up on the hills and the road was dark and steep. But I love the view of the cute colorful buildings.


Val, Felino and I. Fanny was busy becoming the photgrapher. =D

So, when are you visiting Kota Kinabalu?

2 comments:

Mell L. said...

Custard apple?! Soursop got an alias. hahahahaha. Which one is the right one? I was thinking all my life that durian belanda is soursop.

reeyau said...

teii.. its called soursop!! i was thinking so hard apa nama dia. then custard apple came to mind cos they look the same!!