Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Kota Kinabalu : Gaya Streets Sunday Market

Being in KK on a Sunday, it's like a must to visit their market. Seems like it's in all of it's tourist to do list. Visiting the place myself, I went on ahead with the crowd to the markets. The Sunday Market is no difference than any other weekend markets. But they do sell some stuff that aren't usually available in markets.


I love markets. My favourite weekend hobby at home is to bring my mum to Satoks weekend market. It's because I get to choose fresh jungle products to cook or think of a new recipe. My favourite section will always be the wet market because I'm a big fan of seafood. I'll cook them the whole week.

randomly a take-picture-with-python session.

Personally I think that markets will not be around in about 10 years. The younger generation prefers to go to big hypermarkets where they are also offered fresh produce, both local and international. Some people I know have never even stepped into a wet market.

Soyabean is always my favourite.
I thought the orange colored one would be peach or orange flavoured. It's actually with pumpkin.

The Gaya Street market is more like a lifestyle market. What I mean by lifestyle is that they sell more of decorative items like paintings and clothings. It's more of a Velodrom like market that a Taman Tun wet market. However they do sell food items.

Accessories






Animals




This little cutey is not for sell. I almost stepped on this sleeping beauty while looking at things

Plants


There are lots and lots of stalls selling souvenirs are low prices. Including handicrafts, rattan products, seashells and so on.

this is funny!

What I like is this.


I rarely see tradional music instruments being sold in markets like this. The Sabahans are very proud of their heritage. And it's not just words. I'm not sure if they have a gong in every house or what but I'd really like to have one in mine. Then I'll be hitting on it non stop of ever there's a robbery. In the olden days, gongs are like bells or alarams to alert the village if there's a robbery or a meeting or a big announcement.

Then there's the people from the cultural village in a traditional costume that gives out pamphlets to tourists.

Not all have the guts to go out in a loin cloth. Ko bulih ka?

Gaya Street Market is on every Sunday from 8am to 12noon. Most stalls starts to close at 11am.

No comments: