Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Lion Dance

During my holidays at home, I was still lucky enough to have a feel of one of Malaysia biggest cultural celebration. Chinese New Year. Not that I was home for the festival, but people were still in the festive mood.

Chinese New Year marks the first day of the first month in the traditional Chinese calendar and ends with Chap Goh Mei which is on the 15th day. Chap Goh Mei is also known as the Chinese Valentines Day in Malaysia where single women would write their name on oranges and throw them in the river in their scout for true love.


One tradition that always impress me would be the Lion Dance. It may look simple, but I believe training to be a Lion dancer is hell. It takes months to choreograph. The movements, excitement and most importantly core strength is the fundumental of a lion dance. No lion is ever weak. Even if it's made out of paper mache. It always amazes me how they jump on high stilts and how much strength they put into carrying each other. The dance has very close relations to wushu and kung fu.

Every Chinese company would recruit a Lion Dance team to come and perform every season. It is believed that the ritual will ward off bad luck, scare evil spirits and of course, usher in good fortune for the new year.

It was my luck that the Lion Dance performance will be present on the next day in the building my mum works in. I used to work here after my Form 5 and they had a performance at that time too. I was excited. By the sounds of the drums, I ran across the road just to watch it. When I was younger I would cry as loud as the drums cos I was super terrified.

A coach or a leader would guide the Lions as they go through a building. He would wistle commands for the lions and make sure they are in position.



This Lion was busy making flowers out of oranges. Business operators would put out Mandrin oranges for the Lions. Sometimes they do put out cabbages too.


The Lion would go from Agency door to door to collect ang pows put up by operators. maybe someone can tell my why do they put the ang pows up high above the door??


Hello Lion. Bring me luck. *tocey tocey*


It's so obvious this two lions are males.

Hope you had a great New Year!

No comments: