Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Kota Kinabalu : A Gem

Born and raised in East Malaysia, this is my first time ever stepping in the neighbouring state. Labuan is a Federal territory. Not Sabah. (Thats why we have 14 stripes on the Malaysian flag.)

My number one reason to be here is to fulfill my life long dream of experiencing crystal clear blue waters and an amazing island. Yes, Sabah has it. It's like a hidden Gem. Well, not really if you're a hard core open sea diver. Sabah would be number 1 on your list.

In awe. This was taken from the plane before landing.

Attractions of Sabah not only limits to its majestic islands. Mount Kinabalu stands tall behind the city. No, it's not near that you could walk by foot to. It's a 3 hours drive and public transports are hard to take. I heard that there's usually a bus going up, and you'll have to look for your own transport down. Taxis are expensive and costs around rm200 which is 50€ at most. Because of the hassel going to the mighty mountain, I'll leave that plan to next time. I came here alone and had two of my friends who are studying in KK to bring me around.

Is this sword fish the landmark of Kota Kinabalu?

While waiting for my friend, I walked the shopping complexes and also the waterfront. people always say that it's scary to walk alone in Malaysia especially if you're a girl. I think it's only in the mindset of us Malaysians because there are thousands of single lady travellers out there and also in KK itself. Though there are funky looking people who look like they will cut you up and sell your lungs in the black market. If not, I'd say that Malaysia is very safe compared to places like Algeria.

This would be the Waterfront behind Wisma Merdeka. Standing there, I've realised how much I miss being outside with the wind blowing strongly at me. Lots of people gather here in the eveing to enjoy the sea breeze. Some are waiting for their transport, some bring their children for walks, some just come to enjoy and of course, the tourists who wants to be a part of KK itself.


At this part of the city, everything is laid by the waters. New shopping complexes competing with old ones holding brands like Esprit and MNG. Theres a block specially for tourist info counters before the entrance of Suria Sabah. The famous markets and seafood arenas are also placed in a row siding the open sea. It's very easy to get to places as long as you see the waters.

These fishermen boats operate food stalls by the waters.

After a strool along the Waterfront, we went to another place also called the Waterfront which serves food and nightlife. It is located in front of the Api Api center. This place is a hit among the tourists and they serve lots of varieties of food. There even are massage beds overlooking the sea if you'd like some pampering.


Global selections

Sitting here, we had our juices and talked while enjoying the breeze. There were few fishing boats at their nightly routine.

Give a man a fish, you have fed him for today. 
Teach a man to fish, and you have fed him for a lifetime

I have fallen in love with Sabah. A few downsides are that there are too much (uncountable) illegal immigrants here. I wonder why isn't the Government doing anything about it. Floating houses are popping up like minesweepers about to eat KK itself. I've seen kids below 10 going around selling titbits and toys. Some do their business in the midst of traffic chasing cars and stuff. They should be put in schools and be thought well. It's sad. I think this is an even bigger case to look into rather than stupid sex tapes.

1 comment:

Mell L. said...

Oh KK!!! My teenage hometown. :)