Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Brussels : The sweet and the savoury

When I travel, one thing have to do is to try their local delicacies. I myself have a very adventourous tougue especially for something exotic. Even for myself, it's been years since I had bat for dinner (I think I might be one of them that made it endangered) or the occasional sago worm.

A destination that has it's plate full ready for me would be an ultimate choice for me. I cant wait to travel Thailand. So ironic that Malaysia is so close but most of us have never been there.

Belgium is one country that is famous for : CHOCOLATES!
I myself am not a frantic fan of chocolate, but I still have them close to heart. Be it the memories of the Swiss Toblerone Fondue in Lucerne or the occasional Ritter Sport bar which I occasionally buy from Kiosks.
The satrt of choclolate boutiques along the



Mary is also one famous Chocolate Boutique. Though I've never heard fo it before, this boutique was an eye catcher. Nothing beats victorian Style designs, especially on chocolates. It's so chic! No wonder it was the favourite of the Royal family.

All around the town of Belgium, choclates boutiques are all around the corner. Take your pick. Godiva, Leonidas, Neuhaus : there's so much to choose from. There are even some local ones that are not so popular. No matter which chocolate shop it is, they are all made right in the shop.

Neuhaus has Smurf fever!

They had something new on ther menu. A line of icecream for the summer. It costed around 4€ if I'm not mistaken. it was really pretty. Taste was not so bad. 

What made Belgium the center of chocalte was this particular chocolate label, Neuhaus. Jean Neuhaus was the first ever person who invented the praline in 1818. Since then, no one has never knew what a praline is.
On the way to see the peeing boy, there are even more shops that, yes, pays their tribute to the tiny Lord. Like this one here. Have a bite. The Menneken Pis in many different colors of your choice!

Crazy peeing Lord.
I think it turned into a fetish. If it were today, people would be filing reports on phedophelia.

A one dull chocolate piece is turned into a beuty just by coating it with chocolate.
After the chocolate is broken into small square pieces, it is arranged on a conveyor belt and coated with choclate ganache. At the end of the line, a chocolatier is ready to ress it up with some designs!

Chocolatier on duty.

This is one of the many Chocolate Shops that I adore. Chocopolis. A really pretty shop with many pretty things in it! It has a chocolate elephant at its entrance. I bought Chocotoffe by Godiva here for 4€. And I bought macaroons here. It was 80cents per piece. I was so glad I bought it because it was the best tasting macaroons ever! I never really like macaroons because it reminded me of childrens antibiotic. But this one was like jelly marshmellow!! The raspberry one was the best!
Owh! How I miss you! I'll never taste any macarrons as how I tasted you.

Another thing that Belgium is famous for is : Belgian Waffles

When I came here, I was unaware of why Belgium waffles are so famous. Then I saw them making it. A belgian waffle differs from the normal waffle because it is made out of dough. Yes. Dough. Like a doughnut before it is fried. Those dough are pressed into a waffle machine and tadaa! you have a Belgian waffle. There are two types you can choose from. One is the rectangular one and another is the smashed round dough shaped one. If I'm not mistaken, the rectangular one is made out of a batter.

This particular one costed me 7€! The waffle as 1 or 2€. With all those garnishing : 7€
I almost soaked my eyebalss in the chocolate sauce.

Don't be fooled. Their waffle is not as soft as the normal waffle you might get. It's actually quite tough. Along the way towards the Menneken Pis, tourists will be swarming the waffle stalls along the street. It might state 1€ per waffle but that'll only be the waffle alone. Additional garnishes will add up to 5€ per waffle.


Waffle stalls on the street leading to the peeing boy.
Kind of pervert-ty don't you think?

Here's another on the Menu for those visiting Brussels : Brussel Mussels!

Little did I know that mussels we soo famous in Belgium. There's even a street that houses seafood restaurant of all types. And the most famous on their menu would be mussels. They have tradional butter parsley mussels which they serve in pots. It looked so simple but it was so delicious.

Mussels with fries. A must try for everyone in Belgium.

An example of their menu. I had one in tomato cream with prawns and mussels. Almost taste like bolognese sause. Nevertheless, I was very satisfied. After the drama the night before!

It might bring up a hefty price, but it was worth it! The tradional Mussel and fries costs around 12€ and an even more special one on the menu would range up to 20€.

Oh lalaaa!

1 comment:

Coffee Girl said...

Oh my God the food! awesome! Crazy peeing Lord? brilliant! and the last dish... im salivating over here, thank you. LOL