Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

First three months

So how was your first three months of the year? How has it been? Are you still holding on to your resolutions or are they already gone with the wind?

Ending January was a hectic pile. With all the exam preps and finishing my practical (which I really miss now) and moving. It was all over the place! Thank God everything went smoothly and I had so much fun myself. The we had our winter holidays which was for 4 weeks and ended last week. So I'm back to class (6th Sem yeay!!) for this whole semester. Feels kind of awkward after a whole semester sitting in an office. Nows the real deal. Final year.

For the holidays I promised myself I would do these two things. Even if nobody wanted to do it with me, I have to do it kind of spirit. And I did it!

First, it was attending a Faschings Karneval. After all these years, I have never been to a Faschings Karneval so I made sure I did it this year.

Faschings Karneval is something grand in Germany. It's like the Brazillian Mardi Gras and the Venetian Masquarade. In Europe these festivals mark the end of winter and the start of spring. People would dress up in all sorts of costumes and a parade with a heartful of candy will run the streets of cities and towns.


Where I stay, the Faschings Karnevals are not as grand. The biggest Karneval is the one in Köln. Budget wise and time wise, I did'nt have enough to go up till Köln because I was saving for my Morocco trip. So I went to join the Faschings Karneval in Frankfurt, and it was a blast. People on floats throwing candies at you, the candy fighting part was even better! Children are the most adorable! They would dress up and excitedly collect candies.

Kids across the street

Mr Racecar driver

Although the weather wasn't that amazing, we still had a great time. I did'nt bring my camera because I was just so lazy to take it with me. I just took photos with my handphone. I went as little red riding hood with my own self made cape out of a fleece blanket. Then we used it to catch falling candies from the sky.


Candies we collected

Second, is to do a winter sport. Again, after all these years, I have never went skiing or snowboarding. So I made sure I did it before all the snow melts and I won't have time to do it the next winter.

It all started after I went to Friedberg after the Faschings Karneval. My friends just got back from a snowboarding trip the day before and we were enjoying ourselves watching the videos. Whats worst is that they make snowboarding look as easy as frying a keropok! So, for my first winter sport ever, I tried snowboarding.

So a few weeks later, I went snowboarding at the borders of Germany and Czech Republic. And like everything else, starting is the hardest! Even the kids were professionals. Parents send their kids for skiing and snowboarding lessons as young as the age of 4. When I saw these kids slide down the hills, I was super amazed! It was hard to even balance on those equipments (or maybe I was just unfit and fat).

I fell so many times I could'nt count. But it was a good thing. I didn't stop at falling. I got up and fell, till my jeans were soaked. I didn't have ski pants and they don't rent out ski clothes (some places do). My friends were fast learners. After a few falls, they got the hang of it and started doing twist and turns coming down from the slopes. When it comes to sports, I am a very slow learner. Even though I still don't know how to snowboard, I had a good time and won't say no to a next time. Maybe I should enroll in a snowboarding class.

After a tiring day

So what about you?

1 comment:

Kristina said...

I always used to visit the Fasching (Karneval) in Frankfurt when I was a kid! :) So glad you went! Cologne is massive, I think the whole city is drunk for the week! :) Ohhh and Snowboarding! Cool! Hope your bones are all still in one piece!

My first three months of the year were exciting as I was exploring my new home in Australia. And on Monday I start my new job, so I am really happy!!