Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Dresden : A valley near the Elbe

I went to visit Dresden last year in August. Right after a day of moving into my new place at that time. I never managed to post up pics of it because I was very busy at that time. Now with the spare time I have, I'm trying to put up as much as I can.


Dresden is a city on the east part of Germany. It used to be under the DDR before east and west Germany became the country that it is now. I've never actually thought of visiting the eastern side of Germany particularly that area, because I've heard that people there are not that fond of foreigneers.

My visit to Dresden came up because my good friends brothers family was there for a few months for work before they moved to New York. So I took the chance to go and visit them at the same time.

Frauenkirche

Dresden is much like Regensburg. Not too big, neither is it small. It has an upgrade version of basic necessities. It has tram connections, a bigger new town and quite a grand shopping mall compared to other cities in Germany. It used to be a great kingdom with its lines of Saxon kings and princes'.

Dresden has its own handfull of local icons. The Frauenkirche was once destroyed during the WWII and was reconstructed as a symbol of reconcillation with its former enemies.


It also has the worlds largest porcelain artwork mounted on its street. The Fürstenzug shows a procession of the rulers of Saxony, whice was done in 1871. Even after the war, it's stil there as beautiful as it is.

Fürstenzug

Once upon a time, there was a king who had a daughter. He was a great king who also ruled Poland.  His daughter was to be married to the electoral prince of that time. Specially for his daughters wedding, he ordered a baroque style palace cum garden to be built specially for the occasion. That place is the Zwinger.





The place was not finished in time for the wedding and even after his death, construction works are still not completed. I'm not sure where the wedding was eventually done. 

In the evening, it's nice to take a walk along the Elbe especially on its terrace. There will be many locals enjoying the sun on summer and people playing music and doing art. 



Besides these, Dresden also has a Volkwagen Factory that is out of glass (transparent factory). So you can see the process of building a Phaeton in it. 

1 comment:

suituapui said...

I see you're a student... In Germany? Nice...