Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

10 Things I Love Doing : Cooking

This is one of my favourite pasttime. And I'm glad I could share it with people of the same heart. I love cooking. It's one of those things that could make me change my mood. Especially if it's giving to another. Maybe it's a motherly instinct coming out slowly, not only mothers can cook ok. I can. And I'm still far away to become a mother.

When I was 10 years old, I asked my mum for a little pot with a handle. Because I wanted to cook little things like instant noodles, or boil eggs. One evening after school, we went to Satok where my mum worked at that time and there was a hardware/aluminium/cookery shops. One of those shops that sold big woks and big humongous pots for a big event. Along the corner were little pots of various sizes. There I got my forst pot with a long black handle. I had to use a mitten because the handle was hot. It was a cheap pot. But it made me glad. Amazing how I could still remember that little pot. I one made IndoMee. The house has a plastic strainer. I strainer the noodles in the plastic strainer and it melted. Fail.

Roasted Honey Chicken Wings :: Ddeokbokki :: Roasted Lamb Ribs

Cooking is very easy once you put your heart into it. A meal out of a rice cooker, a one pot meal, an oven, things that could make you have a happy stomach, and yes, still a happy heart. I'd always be happy to cook for friends and family. Even though my sister claims that I have high confidance in my food when it sometimes lacks salt (and taste). I'm still learning. It's a fun process. for those who thinks Nasi Lemak is difficult to make, I've come to a stage where I can whip it up in less than an hour for breakfast. And I'm happy I could.

Jjangmyun :: Hainanese Steamed Chicken :: Nasi Lemak Rendang

I do love trying out recipes. From Medditerranean, Indonesian, Chinese, generally whatever you can eat. I've recently managed to cook Pak Lo Duck. Duck is a quite difficult meat to deal with. I was happy I could make it. Though it could be easier if I had a pressure cooker. Stewing Duck for 4 hours on the stove isn't really energy saving. Last night, I made roasted duck with sweet sauce, and it amazes me how it tastes like those you'd buy from stalls! I am yet to know how to make Sarawak Laksa paste from scratch. It's kind of annoying to always have to import it from back home. One day, I'll learn.

I'm not on the urge of becoming a chef, but maybe one day, who knows.

2 comments:

suituapui said...

I love cooking but must be nice...AND simple. Anything that requires a lot of ingredients and preparation or is tedious to cook, forget it.

reeyau said...

haha.. its quite a great thing to do. as for dishes that are quite tedious, i always wait till i have a friend to do it. sharing the joy of cooking something new. hehe