Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

They call it Retail Therapy

... and it does not matter if you have the money or not.


Sad to say I don't really shop much, or do retail therapy much or actually own anything valuable that much. You'll see me in the same blouse, shoes even earrings. Ok I'm lame and unfashionable. I just found out in the train that my shoes are torn.

Everyone's familiar with Confessions of a shopaholic. And a lot of people really do have that problem. Some spend it on shoes, bags, and the whole rack of shirts. How far do they go towards a retail satisfaction?

And another problem is designer brands. How far will you go for a 1200€ Gucci handbag? If you earn that much every month and still have the money to eat, it's ok. But usually those trapped in those situations are those who do not have it. Today I spent my day stepping into Louis Vuitton and Dior boutiques. I'm not a customer. I was a tag-along.

If you don't have that much money to splurge every single month, I don't see the point of doing it. Back home, I didn't even dare step into Topshop. Because I know I can't afford it. Some people would go as far as having no savings at all or no food available (eating guava while staring at the walls kinda thing), just to purchase a designer item. Because it's a Designer Item. It's suppose to be more expensive, high class and high up in the air.

So? In my head : the rich gets richer, feed their dogs with better food that you do and you get poorer each day and still have to pay your dept for the next month. You're a victim.

And every time I see a homeless person lying down by the streets on the way back home in the middle of winter, I thought to myself, the price of those designer items could even build them a home.

I don't understand a lot of things. Maybe because I'm not raised with things having labels but I do dream of having them. Maybe one day when I could afford them, but not to the extend that I'll buy the same model in 15 different colors.

I see a lot of people needing the money more than I do. Maybe I'm not rich enough to think that high of a niveu yet. That Designer Items could make my life much better.

4 comments:

Globalized Dayung said...

Maybe unless u buy a designer bag that can be used for many seasons....Other brands do have nice design & even more cheaper & beautiful than the branded one. I like to buy things that I can use longer, instead you buy it because it's new trend but u only can used for short term period. Let the rich people buy the branded products as they will not carry their money after the end of their life....

reeyau said...

if it's the rich buying, it's ok. but the not so rich? mok juak ngegeh2 beli 2 menunjuk. they r d ones im talking abt. well, its their money. but sometimes they come asking cos they x have enough for d month.

Anonymous said...

"eating guava while staring at the walls kinda thing"
wahahahaaha

reeyau said...

mcam memahami jak si anonymous ini...